Communiqué: On March 5th, 2018 Benadir Regional Administration held the first consultative forum on Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and Refugee Returnees in Benadir Region. The forum brought together representative from Federal Ministers, State Ministers, National Commission for Refugees and IDPs (NCRI), IDPs and other respective guests to highlight the urgent need to establish comprehensive strategy to address chronic displacement in Benadir Region.
BRA sees displacement as key priority issue with over 500,000 persons displaced in the region. The goal of the forum was to begin a dialogue across all levels of governments. In particular to engage federal states in which IDPs originate to be part of BRA strategy for meaningful and sustainable durable solutions. The conference has released the following points:
1. BRA fully recognizes that IDPs and refugee returnees have full rights as Somali citizens and that these rights shall be protected.
2. BRA calls for immediate actions by all stakeholders to improve the difficult situations faced by IDPs including: security threats in the camps, deteriorating health needs and the lack of access to quality education.
3. BRA to form a technical committee in consultation with relevant federal ministries and state ministries. Committee will establish a regional comprehensive IDP and refugee returnee response framework in line with National Development Plan and set long-term strategies for the IDPs and returnees in Benadir Region.
4. The Federal Government, relevant state ministries, international community, non- governmental organizations, BRA and IDPs should work side by side to find durable solutions for the IDPs and returnees in Benadir Region.
5. BRA will develop regional IDP policy that is rights based and protects IDPs and returnees from forced evictions while protecting the rights of landowners.
All IDP camps in Benadir Region will be closed within 4 years time frame, with a vision of full integration in local communities and or voluntary returns to points of origins.