Somalia adopts the review of the Comprehensive National Strategy for Preventing & Countering Violent Extremism (P/CVE) and Action Plan during the High Level Meeting on Strand 4, P/CVE that took place in Mogadishu on 28 November 2017.
HE Abdirahman Omar Osman (Eng. Yarisow) updated participants at the high level meeting on Strand 4 (P/CVE) on the progress made so far which included the following:
• Most of you are aware, that Somalia adopted a comprehensive national strategy for Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (P/CVE) in September 2016;
• The London Conference in May, Somalia and International Partners agreed a Security Pact;
• Discussions begun after London Conference with a view to focus on Strand 4, Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (P/CVE);
• Ad-hoc activities and programs exist such as Defectors Program implementation, strategic communications activities, religious and advocacy programs aimed to reducing violent extremism;
• Ad-hoc meetings between SFG, UNSOM and International partners since May, which led to Swedish Ambassador talking a leading role on Strand 4, to co-chair with the Deputy Prime Minister;
• We had a very productive launch of Strand 4 on 7 October 2017, The Deputy Prime Minister HE Mahdi Mohamed Guled (Khadar) and H.E. Andreas von Uexkull, the Swedish Ambassador to Somalia co-chaired this important strand, a strand that by all intend and purpose is to counter the conveyor belt feeding extremist groups in Somalia.
• On 7th October 2017, the co-chairs signed Strand 4 terms of reference that can guide us through the implementation process. We also agreed to devise an action plan in order to implement the National Comprehensive Strategy for Preventing & Countering Violent Extremism (P/CVE).
• All relevant ministries at the FGS, the OPM, OoP and FMS including Benadir and the Director of Defectors Program identified focal points since P/CVE is a cross cutting issue.
• On 11th of November, I provided an update progress to the Comprehensive Approach to Security Executive Meeting chaired by the Prime Minister HE Hassan Ali Khayre;
• We also held a very important technical working group on the 15th November 2017, which we addressed a number of issues including finalization of technical working group composition, review of the comprehensive national strategy for preventing and countering violent extremism (P/CVE).
• On the 15th November, we brought all focal persons and other stakeholders from the International Community together as we further discussed the National Strategy.
• European Institute of Peace (EIP) provided a workshop on 15 November which highlighted the objectives of Strand 4 and local action plans;
• EIP visited regions and assisted federal member states to devise local action plans;
• We are here today 28 November 2017 to our second high level meeting on Strand 4 to endorse the Strategy and to finalize the progress report that we need to submit on 4th December 2017 during the Security Conference.